This beautiful building was built in 1889 by the congregation of Upper Seneca Baptist Church, the first Baptist congregation in Montgomery County and the fourth in the state of Maryland.
The congregation was established by a covenant signed by 38 Christians on June 28, 1805. Initially they worshipped in a log cabin but when Oliver Talmage Watkins and his wife, Eleanor Jane (Brewer), donated a one-acre parcel of land William Henry Hobbs built this white, wood frame church building.
Initially, the structure had no basement, portico, or stained glass windows. The church members began the excavation of the basement in 1937 for a Fellowship Hall. The two-story education wing and a small addition on the rear of the church were added in 1954.
When the church membership grew to 454 members, they deemed it necessary to build a larger church building. The brick church located next door on Davis Mill Road was completed and dedicated “For the Glory of God” in 1990.
In 1991 Christ Lutheran Church began worship services in what is fondly called “the historic church”. Christ Lutheran was formed in 1976 by a group of Damascus/Clarksburg families to worship in a Christ centered Scripturally grounded fellowship. In April, 2014 Christ Lutheran purchased this beautiful historic building from Upper Seneca Baptist Church.
For more information, please call Pastor Stapf at (301) 972-5529